Friday, 10 November 2017

Change of Format

The Yorkshire Travelling Journal participants are currently contemplating a change of format for the A5 Journal we have been doing for several years.  I have cut out 8 long strips of fabric which we are going to work on and then pass on to the next person.

This led me to trying a mock up on a spare piece of fabric to see what it was possible to do with it.  Suggestions to date have been a folded fabric book, a hanging or a scroll.  The logistics of a scroll may rule out the last one, but we shall see.

Anyway, below is work to date on my dummy one. I have used a Gum Arabic transfer of one of my drawings on the front of it and added some buttonholes onto the turned back edge - this was formed from a piece of the fabric that was not quite the right width for a page, but seemed to lend itself to becoming a nice additional feature rather than being trimmed off.  It looks a bit like a shirt front to me!!  The folded edge of each page has been overstitched by hand to hold a nice firm crease and I may add some decorative loops or lace to some of the pages.

I have started to add another piece of fabric from my scrap box onto the end of the fabric (final page).  Not sure where I am going from here .... so watch this space.  The 'real thing' does not have to be completed and passed on until the end of January 2018, so plenty of time to play.

Tuesday, 7 November 2017

Felt Exhibition

Managed to get to the latest exhibition of felted work at The Weavers Gallery in Ledbury this morning.  Some beautiful work and very inspirational.

Sunday, 5 November 2017

Textile Fair

Could I use this picture for Gum Arabic Transfer I wonder?
Went to Compton Verney Textile Fair on Saturday.  Bumped into a friend from Venture Group amongst the textiles. Loved both the Quinten Blake 'Inside Stories' exhibition and The Lost Words exhibition (featuring words and paintings by Robert Macfarlane and Jackie Morris from their book of the same name).  Have not been for a while and the improvements to the facilities were a lovely surprise.  Catering facilities appeared to be an improvement, but there was much confusion about how to queue and get served there being two tills in operation, one at either end of the serving area. Entrance to the park has also been improved.

A view across the lake to the installation - 'The Clearing' created by Alex Hartley and Tom James as a collaborative artwork.  The little white dots on the left of the photograph below were actually free ranging chickens, that were entertaining everyone at the entrance when we arrived with their antics as they scrabbled about around and on the picnic tables.

Saturday, 4 November 2017


This last week I had managed to get myself in a bit of a panic as I had to prepare some fabric collage plus some black and white images for the Solo Printing class with Sue Brown as she had decided we would have a playday with Gum Arabic Transfer.  The fabric collage took me forever to get my head round and the drawing was a last minute thing using a dip pen and a bottle of black ink ... here are some of the results

A scrap of linen, a photocopy of a pencil sketch of a shed from my sketchbook, plus the blue tit below reduced in size and reversed before transferring.

Full size sketch but printed in Raw Sienna onto a scrap of calico I had in my box

This one is the piece that took me the longest to prepare. It is A4 and not only did I collage it, but I also did some machine and hand stitching onto it in preparation.  If I wish (or have the time) I can now add more stitching.  Scanning the work really shows how cockeyed I got the fabric!

Monday, 30 October 2017

Poor Jenny Wren

Came home from a lovely cycle ride to find DH had found this poor little wren dead in the garden.  Not sure what had happened to it but it was so beautiful. Very sad.

Sunday, 29 October 2017

Friday Spin

Did a longer ride with one of the group on Friday morning.  This was the view looking back to the Malvern Hills after a fairly scary bit of cycling along the main road through Bransford and then turning off towards a quiet road in the general direction of the Elgar Museum. We did 23 miles in all and there were some steep hills near to the end that I was not expecting but I did okay.

Have also been desperately trying to create some collaged fabric pieces to print onto this next week using Gum Arabic Transfer. They are still not finished so must get on with them today. Did, however, tidy the log shed and sew up some branches that have needed doing for months and got them neatly stored away.

Wednesday, 25 October 2017

The Water Splash

Took myself off for a 20 mile ride today on the 'Ledbury Loop'.  It would have been even better if I had managed to take the correct road at the start.  As far as I could tell (when I eventually got back on the right road) the whole route appears to be well signposted and mainly on nice quiet roads.  The ford above was fun, but you are advised not to ride through it, so I had to negotiate the narrow bridge with my bike.

Lots of wildlife about: millions of pheasants, squirrels, two different hairy caterpillars making a mad dash across the road, rabbits, lots of birds and plenty of sunshine. Nice Hereford cattle, with a bull in the field.

Seeing the Eastnor obelisk and knowing I had not got much further to ride was a relief as I knew a lot of the remaining part of the journey was downhill.