Wednesday, 26 October 2011
The only evidence I saw of the real ones was the rutted verges in the Forest where the wild boar had been digging. It was a wonderful sunny day and the leaves are just starting to take on their autumn colours. Must say I do have some nice friends.
Friday, 21 October 2011
It is Half Term next week so I have got a second one to stitch at home. Hope I can remember what to do.
Can't wait until we go back to get the cover put onto the book.
Hope the masses of holly berries in the garden are not signs of a hard winter to come. We have also had masses of acorns which the squirrels have been eating and burying. The biggest surprise has been the mistletoe. The berries have quickly changed from green to glowing white.
On the squirrel front - I am afraid I accidentally caught a squirrel in the trap which I had left out to get them accustomed to it. I had not put any food in the trap so it must have just gone in being playful. The general plan is that someone is coming to shoot them so that I do not have the problem of having to kill them myself. Each day there seems to be more and more of them. We have at least 4 resident in the garden and there are plenty more around.
Tuesday, 18 October 2011
Friday, 14 October 2011
There are three beginners in the class and at the end of Week 2 we have all managed to complete a pamphlet book each. Mine is the green one. The red one was the best as it was completed without getting glue marks on it anywhere, unlike the other two of us!! We both put it down to the fact that we had to rush at the end and forgot to turn the waste paper that we were using over to a clean side.
Book Lying Press' with a 'Backing Saw' which is used to saw across the spine to add holes evenly ready to stitch through.
The third person is deconstructing an existing book to repair it. Both methods involve our learning to stitch the signatures together.
Monday, 10 October 2011
Bet you have already guessed who this is? I was looking through some packing boxes for something else and came across some of the old photos I had copied some years ago for my brother and I.
A bit older here with my brother. Cats featured in my life even then. These were two of the three we had at the time. Not sure why I am holding the black and white one as mine was the black one - who just loved my attempts at dressing him up in doll's clothes and pushing him about in a pram.
The black and white one was a Manx cross and had a little bob tail.
Wednesday, 5 October 2011
We are bedevilled with these horrid fat, fluffy little creatures at the moment. This is one of three that were in the garden this morning. Mr C next door has loaned me his trap but neither DH nor I can bring ourselves to kill them by the approved method - shoot them or hit them on the head with a hammer!! Once trapped it is illegal to release them as they are classed as vermin. They have done a lot of damage to the house over the years as well as the trees in the Dell. Their antics are actually quite entertaining and Sox finds them intriguing but has no idea what to do with them - like catch them and kill them PLEASE!!
One of the advantages of living here is that we have lots of wild birds visiting the garden, but the squirrels steal the food I put out for them as well as eating the eggs and baby birds in the spring.
A solution may have been found - one of the builders who worked on the wall ties has an air rifle and has offered to come and shoot them without our having to trap them. Hooray ..... can't believe it will ever happen but watch this space.
However, I did also mess about with a piece of pelmet vilene I had intended using as a book cover which had been roller painted with dark blue acrylic paint using a patterned roller. It reminds me of the franking on envelopes. I have even got as far as stitching a little bit of texture onto it. Just need some free time to get on with all of the above before the November meeting.
Monday, 3 October 2011
|Red painted area is the crack with the wall tie inserted horizontally|
Dan the plumber has popped in this morning to remove two of the new radiators so that we can get behind them to fill the cracks so no doubt the builders will be back next week to make more mess. There was an awful lot of dust and debris!!
|Black lines are the resin|