Sunday 31 July 2011

Messing About

I discovered one of the pieces of calico which I had created at Stitching in the Dales and decided that I would add some colour to the piece.  My inspiration was a lathe and plaster wall which had been exposed on an old building in Knaresborough.  The calico had been hand stitched with various thicknesses of natural white thread.  A coat of PVA/Emulsion/plaster was painted all over the piece and left to dry.

I then used an old credit card to drag acrylic paint in various colours over the surface.  The stitches and texture of the applied coating created a resist so that the paint was not evenly spread.  I incorporated several of the acrylic quinacrodone colours in this peice which have an amazing luminosity.

I was not happy with the first effort so decided to coat the whole piece with some black Quink ink, which I then washed off under a running tap.  I am now thinking of waxing the whole piece and might make it into a book cover.  I may add some more stitching too.  It was going to be a small hanging, but who knows .....

No comments:

Post a Comment