Monday 9 July 2012

Metre Piece C&G


This caused a few raised eyebrows when it was submitted as my metre piece for City & Guilds. It is called 'The Thread of Life' and it is silk paper created using Jo Sonja's textile medium as the binding agent.  The lettering was free machined using Madeira metallic thread.  I printed the lettering onto water soluble paper using the computer and then laid strips of it over the top of the silk paper.

My first efforts failed as I used PVA glue as the binder and the whole thing went into a horrible wet mess when I dissolved the paper!!

The poem is the same as the one that is printed in the book below and the theme of which is all about having lived a good and long life and not being afraid to die and leave others to follow on from where you left off.

2 comments:

  1. Hazel, you have some lovely ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great idea and llvely to use an old spool too.

    ReplyDelete