Saturday 20 October 2012

Exhibition Leamington Spa

Some of Linda Kemshall's moth samples
Apologies to Linda for borrowing a photograph from her blog as I was not sure whether we were allowed to take photographs at the exhibition.

On Friday I decided to go on an excursion, by myself, to Leamington Spa Art Gallery & Museum to see the 'Through Our Hands' Exhibition which had opened the day before.  An added encouragement to visit were the talks in the afternoon by:

      Linda Kemshall
      Elizabeth Brimelow
      Sandra Meech
      Alicia Merrett

The introductory talk started at 1.00 pm and, although I had set off in good time, I still managed to miss more than half of it.  I kept getting lost and it is very difficult without SatNav trying to read the directions and drive in heavy traffic.  I also got lost going home.  I was alright once I got past Warwick.

Thankfully it was worth all the hassle as the talks were very good, particularly Linda Kemshall and Elizabeth Brimelow, plus the exhibition was excellent. It included work not only by the people above but also Bethan Ash, Elizabeth Barton (quilts of York made me homesick), Eszter Bornemisza, Dijanne Cevaal, Laura Kemshall and Annable Rainbow.  It was difficult to choose favourite quilts as they were all very interesting and demonstrated lots of different techniques.

Annabel Rainbow 'Hello Dear, What Did You Do Today'
This quilt reminded me of MB's natural dyeing days when her husband asked 'Hello dear, and what is in the cauldron today?'  Insinuating of course that the fungi and bark the pot contained might be destined for some other use than dyeing fabrics and threads!!  The nude on this quilt was stitched all over with words relating to the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment