Wednesday 31 October 2012

Wax Workshop

First attempt plus enhancements
On Friday of last week Worcester branch of the EG had a workshop with Alysn Midgelow Marsden which was called "Antiqued Stitched Papers".  I am afraid my efforts were not very good and I have just started to stitch one of the three pieces I managed to create with a view to improving the three pieces I did make.

We used candle wax to combine layers of scrumpled papers which were then enhanced with Markal oil sticks and Treasure Gold.  I just could not get my creative juices going I am afraid.



Second Attempt
Perhaps I had been doing too much all week - had Venture Group on Wednesday when we were dyeing and transfer dyeing all day and I came home with a huge pile of bits of fabric ready to do something with.  This week we are having an outing to Artrix in Bromsgrove to see the postcards created by members of the EG nationally based on the countries participating in the Olympic Games.

2 comments:

  1. I quite like your first attempt, dont knock it lol! Ive used liquid wax but not actually candle wax. Id have thought it might be harder to stitch into, wasnt it then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love candle wax normally, but did not like the technique used by Alyson. You can stitch into it by machine or hand quite easily and the holes can be disguised by rubbing them a bit with the end of the needle. I usually wax all my papers before I collage them and it gives much better results. Tissue paper is fantastic as it becomes transluscent.

    ReplyDelete