Friday 15 November 2013

Birmingham

On Thursday (for the first time since we moved) I took the train to Birmingham to visit an exhibition of 'The Library of Lost Books' which is currently on until 24 November at the Library of Birmingham in The Pavilion (Library of Lost Books).  Surprisingly it is possibly only the second time I have ever been to Birmingham!

Whilst there I took the opportunity to explore the new Library, following the Discovery Trail around the building.  Favourite items were the typewriter by Jennifer Collier; two panels in the Book Rotunda by Lucy McLauchlan (Lucy McLauchlan); The Book Apothecary on the lower ground floor; the animated feature based on Birds of America by Matthew J Watkins also on the lower ground floor and, finally, the best of all, the piece of work by Su Blackwell  'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.

Thought I would hate the building, but loved it, especially the outdoor spaces and the views over the city.  Amazed at the bird boxes situated in the gardens on Floor 3 and 7.

The exterior from the Discovery Terrace

Glass Lift from Floor 4 to 7

Another surprise was finding an Anthony Gormley sculpture in Birmingham.  I discovered it on my way back to catch the train after popping into the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.  I will certainly be back to explore the Museum further.  I only had chance to have a look at the Staffordshire Hoard, the Pre-Rephaelites gallery and a current exhibition, which is on until 19 January, "Birmingham Printmakers: Thirty Years of Printmaking 1983-2013".

No comments:

Post a Comment