Monday 11 November 2013

Burnt layers

I have spent the last two days working on samples for the two Travelling Journals for this month, one for Yorkshire and the other for Worcester.  This piece has been a challenge as I could not remember how to assemble the layers.  I made a similar piece several years ago and, of course, it was one of those times when I was messing around and just playing, made no notes and wish I had.  Now for the life of my I cannot remember what I did.  I do know the inspiration was one of my collagraphs.

The finished work above (which is now too big for the Travelling Journal it was intended for!) has pieces of silk, space dyed cotton velvet, scrim, mica pieces and then sheer fabrics (Organza and chiffon) layered on top of each other.  Then it was randomly machine stitched with metallic and viscose threads, Xpandaprint applied and then the whole thing was zapped with the heat gun.  Finally a little bit of Lumiere paint was added in Metallic Rust and Metallic Bronze to the puffed up Xpandaprint.

Unfortunately the colours have not reproduced very well.  The finished piece is actually much darker therefore I think the scanner must have lightened it up.  I shall now have to start again with a smaller piece that will fit in the Travelling Journal I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment