I have recently started going to a printing class each week. My only problem is that I cannot remember how to do things ... I last did any serious printing in 2007. I have been trying to ink up collagraph plates and so far have got in a bit of a mess. I now realise that the inks we are using are far too thick. Made some progress this week. The plate above has no theme and the image arose from my doodling in waterproof tile adhesive before it dried. I then took the sander to it before sealing it with diluted PVA followed by two coats of button polish (shellac to the uninitiated).
I now realise how very, very lucky we were to have all the facilities we had at Harrogate College. No such stuff here, so have to improvise quite a bit.
Collagraph No 1
This was my first collagraph plate and I intended it to be portrait, but it looks better landscape. I have to own up to the fact that the colours I used were very random. I hate waste so was utilising oil based inks that had been left covered with clingfilm from the previous week.
This strange print was actually achieved by running the inked up roller over the back of another print. The image was picked up from rolling yellow ink over the collagraph plate used for Collagraph No 1. The plate already had purple ink on it which lifted onto the roller.