Thursday 4 June 2015

Bilston

Bilston Technical School - a ruin opposite the gallery

Today I had planned to go to Bilston Craft Gallery to see the 'Through Our Hands' Exhibition on my own.  What a lovely surprise when three of my fellow Venture group members decided to join me.  We had a lovely day out, the sun shone, good company and much jollity.

For some time now I have admired the work of Ezter Bornemisza from Hungary and I loved this hanging piece. I recently went to see another exhibition in Cirencester where she also had some of her work included.

We all loved this piece by Els van Baarle too.  It had some exquisite handmade buttons included at the top of it with the buttonholes at the bottom.  She had used an old pillowcase as the base fabric.


Another favourite was a piece by Sara Impey 'Stitch by Stitch' but I am afraid I did not take a very good photograph of it. All the text (which had been machine stitched) related to what we all love about stitch.  I thought it was a great pity she had not made some postcards with the words on as they were so meaningful and I am sure would be something lots of us would treasure in our sketchbooks for those dull days when we need a bit of inspiration to lift our spirits.


The last picture is of a quilt by Deidre Adams which illustrates the dramatic difference between the long view and detailed surface structure of this piece of work.  The use of colour and surface texture was wonderful.


So much to see and well worth a visit before the close of the exhibition on 25 July.

1 comment: